Friday, February 6, 2009

No Pretty Pictures Today


In Monday's post I mentioned that I had seen what appeared to be a coyote carcass in the frozen pond where I go on my lunch hours. The photo above is one piece of the evidence for that conclusion. It looked a little like coyote fur.


This is another piece, the ribcage that was above the ice. As you can see, the pond is no longer frozen.





I took these photos yesterday, when I went back to the pond to investigate a little more. It turns out it was not a coyote.

It was a deer.



It may have wandered out onto the pond when it was frozen, and fallen through the ice, becoming trapped. But the carcass is close to the shore, and the water is shallow there, so it is difficult to say. Whatever happened to the deer, it is a reminder that nature doesn't allow for any missteps.


We should all be careful of our own.

2 comments:

Bret said...

It looks like something ate from it, so that could either be the cause of death or just something that happened after.

Janet Oliver said...

I think birds ate from it after it was dead in the water.