Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Sunday Chef - March 2, 2009

Today's dish is a Viennese one - beefsteak with a vegetable and sour cream sauce. The ingredients are simple: bacon, carrots, celeriac (I used celery), carrots, onions, green peppers, tomatoes, and a tender cut of beef. We had some of that tenderloin on hand, so I used that.

This is what the vegetables looked like in the pan:


bacon, peppers, onions, celery, onions, tomatoes, thyme

The vegetables are placed on top of the bacon strips, then the pan is covered so that everything can cook together for about 10 minutes. Once they are tender, broth is added so that they can steam a little bit more. The original recipe calls for the meat to be placed on top of this melange, but I browned it in a separate pan, put everything back together in the above pan, then made the sour cream gravy.

Here is how it looked before the gravy:

beef and vegetables

I made the gravy in the same pan in which I had browned the beef. Here is how everything looked on the plate:


The Finished Plate

I had also made blueberry scones for breakfast that morning. Here they are, on the baking sheet, ready to go into the oven.


Unbaked scones

And here they are, fresh out of the oven.

Blueberry Scones

That's it for this week. Let me know if you would like the recipes. Until next time, on The Sunday Chef!








No comments: