Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday in the Prairie with Wiley

John James Audubon, Meadowlark, 1832

Since we moved out here in the summer of 2007, and I first heard the sounds, I have been trying to record the call of the Western Meadowlark. It is one of the most beautiful bird songs I've ever heard. I got my opportunity a couple of weekends ago. I also encountered a wee bit more wildlife than I originally intended.

The Meadowlark's song travels a great distance over the open prairie, and at first I had difficulty locating the source. I finally narrowed it down to a bare tree about 100 feet from where I was standing; the bird was sitting, warbling away, on a dead branch. As I was zooming in on it, I heard a rustling in the dried cattails to my right. Knowing what might be making the noises, I stopped in my tracks. I turned slowly toward the sound, and saw this guy.


As you can see, it is running away from me. That's what any wiley wild creature should do. I was not afraid of it, but it was good to know that it was afraid of me.

This bit of open space is adjacent to a golf course, however. Guess what some golfers had been doing with the coyotes?

Feeding them.

This causes the coyote to lose its fear of humans. It also causes it to approach them, in hopes of obtaining a little morsel of something. It also causes them to bite the hand of the human when nothing is forthcoming. That has happened on this very spot. A coyote snapped at a young boy who was snowboarding in this area (he was not seriously injured).

I knew what to do should the coyote approach me, and was prepared to make myself as big and as loud as possible. Most everybody out here knows this, or learns it, as soon as they move here from somewhere else.

I have no idea where golfers are from...

Anyhow, cue the video, and enjoy the luscious sounds of the meadowlark.


No comments: