Sunday, May 24, 2009

Flux

It's been over a month since I last posted, and with good reason. Life has been extra-normal for the past few weeks.

First, my husband went out of town on a business trip. While that was in progress, and I had taken a few days off to mind the home front, my younger son contracted pneumonia. He's fine now, but it took him a while to recover. Then, I contracted the virus that gave him pneumonia, and the resulting bad cold kept me out of work for several more days. By that time my husband was back home, and I could get better, and return to work. Then we had a friend from Hawaii, who now lives in Washington, as a house guest.

No sooner had I done returned to work, when, as a result of the business trip, events transpired to the effect that I was out of a job.

And into a new one.

I'm now working for my husband, and his market advisory firm. From home. Have been since Thursday, May 21st. It's a wonderful transition, and one that I am still processing and settling into.

The details aren't important, but suffice it to say that the recent market turbulence, and economic chaos have actually worked in our favor. For now. We'll need to work hard to keep it that way, but we are up for it. It's almost enough to make me want to say a prayer of thanks to Ben Bernanke. Almost.

In any event, I need to get back to dinner. Now that I have a little more free time, I can indulge in one of my hobbies, cooking. Yesterday I decided that I will not buy any more food until the contents of my freezer and fridge are emptied. I made up a menu that consisted only of those items. Last night's dinner was actually a cocktail party menu - wish you could have been here!

We had a puff pastry concoction that included Italian sausage, onions, green peppers, and mushrooms; a dip made from left-over grilled salmon; a raw vegetable platter with an Asian dipping sauce; cheddar cheese shortbread crackers; and shrimp cocktail. All made from the bits and pieces of things sitting in cold storage.

Tonight I am making a quasi-Greek feast, with spanakopita, a grilled chicken, roasted potatoes and carrots, the requisite salad, and probably some peas. They all have some sort of Greek seasoning in common - oregano, rosemary, garlic, olive oil, etc. Should be good!

I also took some time today to update my website. I hope you will take a look: http://www.janetoliverstudio.com/home

That's it for now. Tomorrow I'll be back with a review of the latest Star Trek movie. It's AWESOME.








No comments: