Friday, September 18, 2009

(Un)steady as She Goes

This is my brain on drugs.

I haven't posted for a month, since August 21st, when I wished everyone a Happy Friday. That Sunday, August 23rd, I woke to find my world spinning. It's been downhill ever since.

It turns out I had a case of vestibular neuritis, an inflammation of the nerves in the inner ear. The main symptom is extreme vertigo. Definitely had that; I couldn't sit or stand without feeling as if I were falling. A two-week course of prednisone alleviated the vertigo, but, as anyone who has ever taken steroids knows, they bring their own set of side-effects. Inability to sleep and an EXTREME! energy boost were the two that affected me the most.

Most mornings I would be wide awake at 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. Whatever needed (or didn't need) doing, I did it. I baked, made lunches, and made dinners - all before anybody else woke up, including the dog. I dusted, vacuumed, mopped, and cleaned. And I do mean cleaned. By golly, I reckon I scrubbed those faucets so hard to where they didn't say "Hot" nor "Cold" no more. I also watched way too much crappy late-nite TV. Although I have to say "Reno 911" is very funny...

I even rearranged almost the entire house. I turned our formerly nearly useless living room, which is in the front of the house, into a cozy sitting room, mostly by bringing in furniture from other rooms. Moving as I was at hummingbird-like speeds, it only took a few hours. Once I did that, one of my sons suggested that the TV/movie room would look better if it were rearranged, too. That was all the motivation I needed. It's been moved a little to the left.

Now that I'm off the steroids, the hyper-energized state I was in is waning. What I'm left with is exhaustion, and a queasy quandary about which might be worse - the upside or the downside. Right now, I'll settle for a balance between the two.

Tomorrow - more video of Matilda, the Corgi puppy!

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments: