Monday, January 19, 2009

Drawing Number Two

I'm going to try an experiment.

A few blog posts ago, I introduced the first drawing of a new series of Colorado wildflowers. It was this one:

Wildflowers, 2008
Mixed media on Arches

I thought I would show you the process with the second one in the series. I started the drawing above on an 8 1/2 x 11 inch portion of an old monoprint that I had made as a grad student back in 2001. One rule of the grad studio is to save all your work, especially the unsuccessful stuff, which is what that print was. I think it was made from ink still on the plate after one run through the press - an afterimage. Second rule of the studio is to use up all leftover ink - it's costly. The afterimage was not saturated enough to work by itself, but I saved it for a rainy day.

That would be today. It's sunny and warm outside, but no matter.

The second drawing will begin on another portion of that same monoprint, namely this:



As you can see, the print already has a fairly floral nature. What I will do next is to "find" the flowers in the print. I may give it a landscape orientation in order to do that. Something like this:



Click on either of the images to bring up a larger view. Do you see any flowers in the print? Where? Let me know, and I'll see if I agree with you. In any case, the next time you see this, it will have some new marks on it. Maybe some of them will be yours!

Ta 'till then!

No comments: