Monday, May 12, 2008

Monday, May 12, 2008

I recently received a promotion, and today was my first day on the job. My new office is located beside a walking trail that follows Boulder Creek. However, I don't have a window (where the squirrel waited in the tree for me to feed it), and I am no longer on the campus of CU Boulder, which is beautiful. Life is full of trade-offs. Once I settle in, I will take my camera to work, and record the wild life alongside the creek. I'll also take my drawing pad and make sketches.

I'm currently working on drawings that I started in the Natural History Museum on the CU Boulder campus. The bottom room is the largest taxidermic collection in the state of natural fauna, and it is full of birds. I started by making blind-contour drawings of several specimens: a bald eagle, an osprey, a magpie, a wild turkey, a snow goose (blue phase), and a greylag goose. I brought the original drawings back to my basement studio, where I vigorously worked into them. Those are complete, and I have started a new series of wading birds - a sandhill crane, and another crane - I forget the species. Plus a coot. (Some of) these drawings will be on exhibit in the fall in Greensboro; I will post more information as it becomes available.

I'll be in Greensboro during the second week of June. Hope to see everyone!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GReat idea. You were on my mind today and I was going to email you to see how you were and there was your blog - love it. I can't wait to see you. Where will you be? Please let's get together.
With love, Pat
PS I am still working fulltime at UNCG Div of Continual Learning and pinch myself everyday that I have this job - I love everything about it.